Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The "Forerunner"


Heb 6:19-20  This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both secure and steadfast and one which enters within the veil, 20 where Jesus has entered as a forerunner for us, having become a high priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.

It was night, dark, no moon and driving on a two lane state road in the county seemed a lonely place to be.  I was not familiar with the road; it's turns, hills and crossroads.  This slowed me down for I recognized the dangers of driving the unknown.  And yet I needed to make good time so as not to arrive late to my appointed meeting.

Suddenly a car entered the road ahead of me.  After following it for a few miles I realized driving was easier.  His lights lit up the road further ahead: he made the turns and hills more evident by his lights and his turns.  His speed was what I need to reach my destination on time!

Oncoming cars dimmed their lights for him first and did not blind me.  What a relief!  I did not have to drive unaware of where I was going.

One had gone before!

All of the sudden the word "forerunner" jumped into my mind.

Jesus had been called our "forerunner" in Hebrews 6:20.  He had entered into life on the earth and into death, and had come into life on the other side so that when we enter into death, following Him, we also will enter into life with Him.  Jesus entered into the presence of the Father behind the rent veil that we might enter in behind Him.  Before Jesus, only the Israelites' High Priest could enter behind the veil once a year to make atonement offering for the people's sin.  This was a fearful entering, but our entering behind our "forerunner," Jesus Christ. is a welcome entering.  Because He went before with eternal payment for forgiveness of sins, we can "come boldly into the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and may find grace to help in time of need."  Heb 4:16

1 comment:

  1. I love the analogy of the car ahead of you as a type of "forerunner". Thanks for helping me through a rough night.
    God is able!
    Love in Christ,
    Janet
    P.S. Pray I make it to the meeting Thursday with Angela Thomas.

    ReplyDelete